Friday, November 20, 2009

A Little Update

So yesterday I had reconstructive surgery to repair a deviated septum in my nose. I didn't really know what to expect going into it and I still don't know what they actually did to me. I was in the waiting room for over two and a half hours because my surgery was almost an hour late and the next thing I know, I'm on the surgery table, getting an IV and told to breathe deeply. The last thing I remember is the surgeon telling me, "sleep well dear, remember to breathe through your mouth when you wake up." And then I was out. Being put under is pretty crazy. I think it took less than a second for me to fall asleep. An hour and a half later, I vaguely remember hearing one of the nurses say my name as I tried to open my eyes and breathe. But they put vaseline on my eyes during surgery for some reason so I couldn't really see and I had a breathing tube down my throat during the surgery and my nose was packed with stuff so I couldn't really breathe.

Once they gave me some ice chips and a cloth to whip off the vaseline, things started to improve. I got wheeled into the recovery room and just hung out while they gave me some drugs. Things were looking up. But when I sat up to start getting dressed, I got really nauseous and almost threw up, so they made me stay longer to get more drugs. My dear sister Jess got my prescription filled while I waited in the hospital and then drove me home a few hours after the surgery. I was very excited to eat when I got home and very thankful that I was able to keep it down. My Aunt Linda and cousin, Kristy (who is a nurse) stopped by to check on me because my parents are on vacation. Kristy helped me with my drugs which was great because I didn't really know what to do with them.

After a pretty terrible sleep, I woke up bright and early so Jess could take me back to the Doctor's to get the packing in my nose removed. I asked him if it would hurt. He said no. He lied. Overall, I think the recovery might be a bit more than I bargained for. I have a splint inside my nose, a cast on the outside of my nose and a gauze mustache for the bleeding. My eyes are swollen and turning black and blue, but I have drugs so I don't feel too much pain. Breathing is the biggest issue and I am mostly just uncomfortable and dizzy. I get my nose cast off in 10 days, but I am not supposed to do anything stressful for two weeks because that often causes bleeding and slows the recovery. From the little I did hear though, apparently the surgery went well and I will be all fixed up in two weeks.

Thanks to my sisters Jess and Jodie who have brought me places and food to eat and to Aunt Linda and Kristy for checking on me! You are all wonderful!


  1. Thank you SO much for the update! You sound in pretty good spirits! I am sure you are a super trooper! :) So glad the sisters are taking care of you! I am sending HUGE (but gentle!) hugs your way! You are AWESOME and I am praying QUICK HEALING over you!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

  2. Hey James! Thanks for the update! You definitely do sound like you are in good spirits! Nose surgery is the WORST! I am hoping to come by tomorrow...just gotta make sure someone can watch the kids! Love you!

  3. Thanks for the messages and prayers! Yeah, I'd love it if you came over Cass! And you can bring the kids if you want. I am feeling a bit more dizzy and lightheaded today and my face is pretty swollen, but I'd love to see you...through my squinty eyes :)

  4. Nose surgery does not sound fun:(
    Hope you are feeling better soon and that you heal fast!!! I would bring you candy and a good Christmas movie f I was close.
    Love you

  5. Nope, nose surgery is not fun. So far today has been the worst. I have been dizzy, congested and nauseous all day...and boredom has officially set in. I can't really read or write without getting dizzy, so I just watch tv and movies and eat ice cream all day. Erin, I would love that! We can still do that though when you come in December :) Love you all!